Control Center: Managing the Primary Lead role
Each Control Center program can have only one Primary Lead. Learn how to manage and reassign that role.
The Primary Lead owns the following key assets. These assets can have only one owner:
- Intake sheet
- Blueprint source folders (usually within a workspace)
- Summary sheets
If you change the Primary Lead, you must make the new lead the owner of these assets.
When a Program Lead creates the blueprint for a project, they can choose whether the Primary Lead or the Project Creator own the Smartsheet objects (sheets, workspaces, dashboards, reports) created from that blueprint.
To see the Primary Lead for any program, select the program information icon for that program.
Changing the Primary Lead for a program
If the Primary Lead leaves your organization or changes roles, you may need to change the Primary Lead for Control Center.
Smartsheet recommends using a dedicated service not owned by a specific individual as the Primary Lead. For example, create a Smartsheet account named firstname.lastname@example.org. This way, you can transfer Primary Lead duties to another user without updating the Primary Lead account in Control Center.
Before transferring the Primary Lead role, ensure the new lead meets the requirements and follow the instructions carefully. If you change the Primary Lead before completing these steps, or you complete these steps out of order, you may see errors.
- Make sure your new lead is a licensed user in Smartsheet.
- Add the new lead as an Additional Lead.
- For Gov accounts only: Increase the new lead's cell limit to 100,000. Contact Smartsheet Support and request this change before you proceed to the next step.
- Have your new lead log in to Control Center.
- Transfer ownership of the configuration sheet, intake sheets, summary sheet, workspaces containing blueprint source folders, and any Smartsheet groups used to grant access to workspaces or in the Allowlist (if applicable).
Change the Primary Lead
Once the new lead meets the above criteria, the current lead can complete the role transfer using the following steps:
- In Control Center, select the program you want to transfer to a new Primary Lead.
- Select Manage Program, then the i icon next to the program name, then select Edit.
- Select Click to transfer and select the Additional Lead user you want to make the Primary Lead.
- Select Transfer in the new window. Control Center checks sharing permissions on Smartsheet items needed for the program.
- A confirmation message appears when the transfer is complete.
Address any permissions issues before attempting the transfer again.
For assistance addressing any of these messages, contact Smartsheet Support.