Each Smartsheet account is associated with one primary email address that's used to:
- Verify your identity when you log in
- Send you notifications and reminders
- Track your activity in resource management
If you want to use a different primary email address with Smartsheet, you can manage that change on your own from the Personal Settings form (click Account > Personal Settings).
Situations where you might need to change the primary email address include the following:
- To work around the "address can't be added" error. If you attempt to use the same email address with more than one account, you'll receive an error message. For information about what to do in this situation, see Issue: Address Can't Be Added later in this article.
- To merge accounts. Currently, you cannot merge two accounts together and retain sheet sharing from both. However, you can use the steps described below to get the desired result.
Example: If you have a paid account assigned to a personal address and a free or trial account assigned to a work email address, you can follow the steps below to switch addresses so that you can use your work address for the paid account. If you own sheets in both accounts, you can move those sheets to your paid account by following the steps in the article Changing the Sheet Owner.
NOTE: If collaborators have shared sheets with you using the free/trial account (and if those sheets aren’t shared to the paid account), you’ll need to contact the sheet owners and ask them to share the sheets to the other account.
- Click Account > Personal Settings > Profile.
- Click Manage Email Addresses.
- From Manage Email Addresses, you can associate additional email addresses to be used with your account.
To do this type the email address and click Add email address.
NOTE: To designate a different email address as the primary one: click Make primary.
- To finalize adding an alternate email address, you'll need to switch to email and click the activation link in the email confirmation that's sent to that address.
If you attempt to add an email address that’s already in use in Smartsheet, you'll receive an error message stating that the address can't be added. To successfully associate your account with the desired email address, use one of the following methods.
If you have questions about either of these options or aren't sure how to proceed, contact us and our support team will be happy to assist you.
Use this method if others have shared sheets with your licensed account and you want to retain that sharing. To use this method, you'll need to have access to a third email address (one that isn't in use in Smartsheet).
- Log in to Smartsheet using the email address that you were attempting to associate with an account when you received the "can't add" error message.
- Click Account > Personal Settings > Profile and click Manage Email Addresses.
- From Manage Email Addresses, associate the additional email address to be used with your account. That is, add the third email address (the one that's not currently used anywhere in Smartsheet).
- Click Add email address.
- To finalize adding the alternate (third) email address, you'll need to switch to email and click the activation link in the email confirmation that's sent to that address–the mail will be sent to the third email address.
- Once you've confirmed the address, click Make Primary to make the third address the primary address associated with the account.
- Log out and then log back in to Smartsheet, using the third email address as your login.
- Now that you've changed the primary address, you can remove the email address you'd like to use in the other account (the account that you were using when you received the "can't add..." error message). To do this, click the X to the right of the email address.
- Log out and then log back in to the account that you want to use the email address in (the account that you were using when you received the error). Add the desired email address (Click Account > Personal Settings > Profile and click Manage Email Addresses.)
Method 2: Transfer a Paid Subscription
Use this method if you don't have sheets shared to the email address associated with your current (paid) subscription. To transfer a paid subscription, follow the steps outlined in the Transferring a Paid Subscription help article to change the email address.