Who can use this capability
Owners, Administrators, Collaborators, and Guests can edit templates.
The Brandfolder template editor
The Editor is Brandfolder’s primary templating solution, allowing for text and image replacement for templating done through Print UI.
The Editor is Brandfolder’s primary templating solution, allowing for text and image replacement for templating done through Print UI. Validations can be set on text fields to limit characters, rows, and even for specific formats like email and URL. Image replacements can be made via upload or embed directly from brandfolder, where embed restriction queries can be added for precise replacement options. Replacement is limited by the design and layout of the document, so Designers have the most control over what the end user can and cannot change.
To change how users interact with editable fields, select Edit Form Fields.
There are four options for Text Field validations:
- Text Input: Any text can be replaced if it fits within the text frame.
- Text Dropdown: Predefined options are used for replacement. Copy-paste functionality is currently not supported for duplicating large menu options.
- Text Rows: Define a maximum number or rows for replacement. Line breaks create new rows.
- Text Asset: Search Brandfolder for text assets that match a specific query.
Images also have validations and will determine which images the user can select for replacement.
- Allow Brandfolder Embed and Upload: Users can choose images from Brandfolder or their local system.
- Allow Only Brandfolder Embed: Forces users to choose images that already exist as assets in Brandfolder. Additional restrictions can be applied to narrow the scope of selectable assets.
- Allow Only User Upload: Users can only upload images from their local system.
- Deny Image Replacement: Users cannot replace the image.
The Brandfolder Embed option also supports an Embed Restriction Query. This query uses Brandfolder's search to limit which assets appear as options for the end user. Each Image Frame can use a unique restriction query to find the perfect group of assets for replacement. Do note: users cannot search through assets if an embed restriction query is utilized
Multiple tags can be added to an embed restriction query by using the tags.strict: syntax, shown above.
You may be unable to query or replace SVG, EPS, and AI file types because they are complex and not ideal for replacement
Refresh Preview will update the preview with any changes made to the fields. Share Link can send a rendition of the template to another user and maintain any edits. Templates will reset to the original state each time they are edited unless a specific rendition is viewed from a shared link.
Finish will redirect the user to a high-resolution result preview and allow various download options. If approvals are required, end users will have the option to submit for approval rather than download. Do note: if a non-user or public account utilizes a template, they will not be directed through the approvals flow. The functionality is only supported if a user has an email address associated with them.
Save to Brandfolder and Download IDML will only be available to admin-level users. Saving a result to Brandfolder will create an asset with the PDF output and a direct link to make further edits to the rendition.
Incompatible Brandfolder editor templating use cases
Inline styling/formatting is not supported in the Brandfolder editor. This is because a new text frame is required for each style, and the body copy cannot maintain styling or formatting or even line breaks. The alternative for this use case is utilizing the full canvas editor.
Automation for Bulk Replacement is also not supported in the Brandfolder editor. Multipage branding must be updated on every frame, and the editor does not support bulk actions.