Portfolio WorkApps brings Smartsheet and third-party assets from projects in your Portfolio in one place, focusing your team on only the information they need to get their jobs done.
The Portfolio WorkApp includes Portfolio level information, an intake sheet to help you provision multiple projects, and a project list that shows all provisioned projects. Roles and sharing limit your team's access to only relevant projects and assets.
Learn more about WorkApps.
Before you get started
- You must create a new portfolio with a new blueprint to create programs that include WorkApps.
- Multi-tier child blueprints do not support Portfolio WorkApps
- Blueprints have a 50-page limit in WorkApps.
Build a WorkApp with SCC
1. Add roles to your intake sheet
Smartsheet Control Center creates a WorkApp for each new program by default. Specify the WorkApp owner in a single or multi-select column in your intake sheet. You can also specify default WorkApp roles in the intake sheet.
2. Create a new Portfolio and Blueprint
- Contact your CSM or Smartsheet Support to create a new Control Center Portfolio for you. Your contact will create a new portfolio and transfer it to you.
- Open the new Portfolio. You will see a link to open the Portfolio WorkApp. The Portfolio WorkApp will be empty.
- Select New Blueprint and follow the instructions on your screen.
3. Apply WorkApps settings
- Advance through the Blueprint Builder to the WorkApps Settings page.
- Select your Project Owner settings. Select a column from your Intake Sheet to designate a project owner. If you leave this setting blank, the Primary Lead (the person creating the Portfolio) becomes the Project Owner.
- Select your WorkApps roles settings. WorkApps roles settings limit access to data by role. You can have multiple roles; each role is a column on your Intake sheet. Complete the process as usual and then save the Blueprint.
- On the Blueprint Created screen select Open WorkApp.
4. Configure the WorkApp Blueprint
- Set the view for sheets in the Page Settings in the right panel. For example, you can set a task sheet to appear in card view.
Gantt view is not supported in Blueprints. You can add Gantt view pages to Portfolio and Projects.
- On the Roles tab, select a role. To set the page permissions for each role, select the dropdown arrow next to a page and select a permission (Viewer/Hidden/Editor). By default, all pages are hidden across all roles.
You must select roles and page permissions before provisioning projects in WorkApps.
- In the top right corner of the screen, select Update Blueprint. Updating a blueprint will affect all project WorkApps created from the Blueprint.
To find your Blueprint in WorkApps, on the left navigation, select WorkApps. Select the edit icon on the new WorkApp. You can access your new Blueprint from the Blueprint Management icon on the left sidebar. Select Manage and open Blueprint to edit the Blueprint in WorkApp.
5. Configure the Portfolio WorkApp
- In the left pane, select Add Portfolio pages to add pages, forms, other Smartsheet assets, or external web content.
- Create roles as needed. Two roles appear automatically:
- Portfolio Editors can edit all assets in the Portfolio. Portfolio Editors include all leads from your Control Center project. You can edit this list in Control Center.
- Portfolio Users can view a list of the projects they're shared to.
- On the top right of your screen, select Publish. Your team can now use the Portfolio WorkApp.
Things to know
- Project WorkApps have the same structure as the project's Blueprint. You cannot modify pages and roles from within the project. Items with a lock icon indicate pages and roles defined in your Blueprint.
- If you are the project owner, you can add additional pages and roles to an individual project.
- You cannot create new roles with permissions exceeding those in the Blueprint. For example, if a Blueprint allows viewer and hidden permissions to a Budget sheet, you cannot create a role in a project with editor permissions on that same Budget sheet.
Transferring or deleting Portfolio WorkApps
- Log into Smartsheet Control Center to delete or transfer a Portfolio Workapp. Actions taken in Control Center apply to the project or portfolio's associated WorkApps.