The Group tab lets you combine similar values into groups, so rows can be organized into logical categories.
You can add up to three groups per report.
In the example below, the rows are grouped according to Priority and Request:
To group rows in a report
- On the toolbar, select Group.
- Group your rows.
- Sort your groups in ascending or descending order.
- Add another group, if necessary.
- Optional: Control the default state of the groups when you load or refresh your report.
- Collapse : Use this to hide rows when you load or refresh your report
- Expand : Use this to show rows when you load or refresh your report
- Select OK.
You can’t use Dropdown (Multi Select), Contact List, or any type of column that lets you select more than one value for groupings.
This image shows the error that will appear when you try to use a Multi Select column for your groupings.
Tips and tricks
- To expand or collapse specific groups, select the expander arrow next to a grouping label.
- To expand or collapse all rows, right-click the primary column.
- To expand the groups when you load a report, make sure it has fewer than 2,500 rows that meet the report criteria. Smartsheet automatically collapses groups, if your report has more than 2,500 rows.
- The primary column automatically moves to the far left when you group rows.
- If you print or export the report, you won’t see the group you set up. Only the rows will be visible in the file you printed or exported.