Who can use this capability
Owners, Admins, and collaborators can build templates in Brandfolder.
Brandfolder custom templates step 2: lock configurations
Template locking is a way for Admins or Collaborators who are creating a project to define which elements of the project cannot be changed by the end-users of the template.
Locking a template is the second step in creating Brandfolder templates.
Template locking allows template creators the ability to maintain brand integrity while allowing users the freedom to customize designs. Locking also creates a simple workflow for your users. Giving too many options to users in templates can be overwhelming. Locking gives your users a simple workflow to make quick and professional designs for them to use in any context.
How to setup locking settings
Once you have finished building out your project you will want to apply template locking settings. Template locking settings can be applied to any project prior to publishing. On the right-hand side expand the menu and select the Locking button. You will then toggle the switch to turn it on.
In the locking mode dropdown, you will see three options:
- Design Mode will take you out of your locking settings and allow you to adjust the design on the canvas.
- Configuration Mode allows you to set your actual locking settings.
- User Preview Mode gives you a chance to see what your users will experience with the design with the Locking settings applied.
General locking settings in templates
When you have configuration mode enabled you will have a few options in the general menu that you can apply to the entire template.
Set lock controls for the entire template for
- Add Page
- Clone Page
- Delete Page
Once selections are made select Save Locking Config.
Individual element locking settings
You also have the ability to set locking settings based on each individual element in the template.
1. Select the element (Text, Images/Media, Shapes, Lines, etc.) in the preview to open up locking options in the menus on both the left and right-hand sides.
2. In the left menu you have the ability to lock items like the fill, font, and font size for text. Vector, raster, and uploading sources for images. Weight, resize dimensions, and transparency for shapes. Color, photo, and size for background.
3. In the right menu you will see a Lock All Attributes button. It is best practice to select this option to lock all options and then sent more specifics by clicking on the locks next to the various options.
4. In the right side menu there are typically two sections for locking: position, and context menu. The context menu refers to the menu of options (WYSIWYG) that will be presented to the end-user when they click on the object. For text, there will also be an option for locking the text content.
5. For every element at the bottom of the right side menu you will see an Apply As Default button. Clicking this will apply the Locking settings you have chosen for that element across any of the same elements on the design.
6. Save your locking configurations by selecting the Back button and choosing the Save Locking Config button.
How to use auto fit and force to front
Autofit is a feature that automatically adjusts the height and width of the text so that it is contained within the designated size of the textbox. Height is maintained by the line count provided in the sample text you set.
Force to Front is a setting that will keep the selected element in the foreground of the design, even if other elements are added. This ensures that a required element can never be covered by the end user.
Both of these settings can be found within the right-side menu. Once you have selected these options be sure to select the back button and then select the Save Locking Config button.
How to lock zones
To configure locking controls on the Zone, follow these steps:
- When you have the zone selected, on the left-hand side click the Select button to choose which elements can be uploaded into the Zone. Lock the options that you don’t want available. You can optionally choose to allow uploads of only vector vs raster images.
- Click the Raster or Vector buttons to adjust locking for what the user can edit on specific elements added to the Zone. Vector images will not be available if you have chosen to mask.
- Save your Locking configuration on the left menu.
*All zones will show with a placeholder button by default for your end users.
After you have set up locking configurations you will want to save your project and generate a template.