Who can use this capability
Any licensed users with access to the sheet can copy a sheet as new.
Copy a sheet with save as new
When you copy a sheet with save as new, columns and conditional formatting rules from the original sheet will always be saved to the new copy.
Create a copy of a sheet
- Click File > Save as New to display the Save as New window.
- Type a name for the new sheet.
- Under Save in, select the folder or workspace where you’d like to save the copied sheet.
- Click to show the options for Notifications & Sharing Options and Data & Formatting Options and choose which items you want to save with the copy of your sheet.
- Click Save.
Save as options
- Sharing: Preserves any sheet sharing that you've set up.
- Automated Workflow & Alert Options: Retains any associated Automation rules with the saved copy of the sheet.
- Workflow recipients and Automation Permission Settings: Retains permission settings for the rules.
- If a rule for the new sheet has no valid recipients (that is, if no one will be able to receive notifications based either on the permission settings or on the approved domain sharing list for the account) the sheet owner will receive this message in email: An Automation rule on your sheet has become invalid. This sheet’s permissions settings are currently preventing recipients from getting notifications.
- To modify rule permission settings for the sheet:
- Click Automation > Manage Workflows... on the menu bar
- In the Automation window, click the Settings icon in the upper-right to modify permission levels.
- Sheet data and formatting: Includes information typed into cells and formatting manually applied to them. If unchecked, copied sheets will retain column names and types but all rows will be left blank.
- Comments: Includes all row and sheet-level comments.
- Attachments: Includes all row and sheet-level attachments.
- Cell links: Preserves inbound cell links only. If unchecked, the cell data will be retained in the sheet copy but will no longer be linked.
- Sheet hyperlinks: Maintains hyperlinks to other sheets. If unchecked, the cell data will be retained in the sheet copy, but will no longer be hyperlinked.
- Sheet filters: Includes sheet filters.
- Forms: Includes any forms that have been added to the sheet.