Using the Smartsheet for Jira Connector, you can create new issues in Jira without having to leave Smartsheet. Issues created from Smartsheet populate in Jira when your workflows sync.
Supported Issue Types for Creation from Smartsheet
The following Jira issue types can be created from Smartsheet:
Before You Begin
Before you create new Jira issues from your sheet in Smartsheet, check the following:
- You'll need to create a workflow in the Smartsheet for Jira Connector.
- Make sure that required fields for the Jira issues you want to create have been mapped to the sheet in your Jira Connector workflow. For example, since Epic Name and Summary fields are required for Epic issue types in Jira by default, those fields need to be mapped in your workflow to create Epics from Smartsheet.
- Make sure other fields you want to include when creating issues from Smartsheet are present in the Create Issue Screen for the Issue Type in Jira.
Create Jira Issues From Smartsheet
With your sheet open in Smartsheet:
- If you haven’t already created a workflow in the Jira Connector, select in the right rail in your sheet to create one.
- In a new row in the sheet, enter the relevant information for your new Jira issue into the mapped columns.
- Save the sheet.
If there is a problem creating the new issue, you will see an error in the sheet with details on why the issue couldn’t be created.
NOTE: To create a Sub-task issue type, the new row must be indented under a parent row before saving the sheet
The next time your Jira Connector workflow syncs, you should see your newly created issues in Jira. When a new Jira issue has been created successfully, you’ll see the new Issue Key with a hyperlink to that issue in Jira appear in the sheet.
Sync Behavior and Further Requirements
Here are things to keep in mind when creating Jira issues from Smartsheet:
- When creating issues from a sheet that is mapped to multiple projects in Jira, including the Project Key field is a requirement. If you create a new issue from a sheet mapped to multiple projects and don’t include the Project Key, you’ll see an error in the sheet.
- New Jira issues can only be created when using bidirectional or unidirectional Smartsheet-to-Jira workflow types.
- If using a manual workflow, newly created issues will sync the next time the workflow is manually run.