Make each alert or request more readily identifiable in the subject line of the notification with message placeholders.
For example, add a message placeholder to the subject of your update request for a field titled Task Name in your sheet, and Smartsheet will dynamically add the relevant value in that field to your alert or request’s message.
If you’re using placeholders in a change-based workflow, you must set the Trigger block to Run workflow: When triggered in order to use the dynamic placeholders capability described here. However, if you'd like the workflow to run weekly, daily, or at specific times in the the day, then you can use time-based triggers which have slightly different behavior described at the bottom of this article. See Save Time and Work Faster With Automated Workflows for more information on creating a workflow.
In the Action block of an automated workflow:
- Select Customize Message.
- In the subject and body, type the field name that you'd like to have dynamically added, wrapped in double-handlebars.
Field names are case sensitive. Make sure to type the exact field name as it appears in the column header at the top of your sheet to ensure that the desired information appears in automated alerts and requests.
- Select Save.
Placeholders Increase Alert and Request Quantity
Adding placeholders to your messages may result in separate alerts for each row when you would have previously received a single, consolidated alert with several rows. This occurs because Smartsheet must add the unique cell data for the placeholder to the alert message for each row.
Keep the following behavior in mind as you work with placeholders:
- When using placeholders with Approval Requests, a separate notification will be generated for every row.
- When using placeholders with Alert or Update Request actions in change-based workflows, placeholders will generate separate notifications if six or fewer rows are triggered simultaneously. If seven or more rows are triggered at once, the custom subject and body will be removed.
- When using the message only alert type, any simultaneously triggered rows will be combined into a single notification.
- Placeholders will not apply to the subject of time-based Alert actions.
- Placeholders will not apply to time-based Update Request actions.
- Placeholders cannot be used when the Run workflow: setting is Hourly, Daily, or Weekly.