Copying a workspace or folder is a lot easier than recreating a set of sheets for a new project or client. It also saves you time.
You can copy any folder or workspace that contains up to 100 items.
To create a copy of a folder or workspace
- On the left Navigation Bar, select Browse.
- Go to the item you want to copy.
- In the left pane, right-click the name of a workspace or folder.
- Select Save as New.
- Enter a name for the new workspace or folder.
You can set a new name for the workspace or folder copy, but the names of any sheets, reports, and templates contained will match the originals. You can rename them after you make your copies.
- Expand the following sections, and review whether you want to keep the items described in each section:
- Automated Workflow & Alert Options
- Data & Formatting Options
- Choose whether reports, dashboards, sheet links, and cell links will refer to either of these options:
- Newly created sheets: When copying interlinked items within the same folder or workspace, this option will remap links to reference the newly created copies. Links to items outside of the copied folder or workspace will remain linked to the outside item, and you may need to manually remove them.
- Original sheets: Newly created items will continue to link to the same sheet, which the original item is linked to.
- Select OK.
What happens when you copy a folder or workspace
The following items from the original will always be saved to the new copy:
- The subfolder structure
- Conditional formatting rules
Choose which data and formatting to keep in the copy
Here's more information to help you:
- Sheet data and formatting: Include information typed into cells and formatting manually applied to them. Otherwise, copied sheets will retain column names and types, but all rows will be left blank.
- Comments: Include all row, sheet, and workspace (if you’re copying a workspace) comments.
- Attachments: Include all row, sheet, and workspace (if you’re copying a workspace) attachments.
- Cell links and cross-sheet references: Preserve cell links. If you don’t select this option, the cell data will be retained in the sheet copy but won’t be linked.
- Sheet hyperlinks: Maintain hyperlinks to other sheets. If you don’t select this option, the cell data will be retained in the sheet copy but will no longer be hyperlinked.
- Shared sheet filters: Retain filters you created for the sheet.
- Forms: Include any forms in the sheets.
- Workspace branding (workspace copy only): The copied workspace will inherit the same colors and logo as the original. If you don’t select this option, the new workspace will inherit the colors and logo set up on your Smartsheet account.
When you copy a workspace or a folder with a report
The new copy of the report copies the criteria set in the following report tabs of the original report:
- Source Sheets
- Columns to Display
- Filter Criteria