Use Issue Links in Jira to get a broader view of your Jira issues.
For example, you can use issue links to see which issues are blockers, are related, or cause other issues.
For more information on Issue Linking in Jira, see Atlassian’s Linking Issues article.
Who can use this capability?
The Owner of the workflow can adjust the workflow field mapping to sync Issue Links from Jira. Users shared to the connected sheet with Editor or greater permissions can define Issue Links in the mapped column.
Smartsheet accounts that have Jira Connector activated.
Add Issue Links in your Jira Connector Workflow
Before you can use Issue Links in Smartsheet, you’ll need to make sure that you add the “Issue Links” field in your workflow’s field mappings. For more information on workflow field mappings, see Creating and Editing Synchronization Workflows.
NOTE: If you don’t see the Issue Links field as available for field mapping, consult with your Jira Admin to ensure that field is available in your Jira Projects.
Defining New Issue Links in Smartsheet
To add new Issue Links from within Smartsheet, use the available Jira issue linking syntax to add links in the “Issue Links” column mapped in your workflow. Multiple links should be separated by a comma.
The following syntax is available for linking Jira issues in Smartsheet:
- is Epic of (this issue is the Epic of other issues.)
- epics (this issue belongs to this Epic.)
- is blocked by
- is cloned by
- is duplicated by
- split from
- split to
- is caused by
- relates to
- solved by
When Issue Links are added to one issue, you will see the Issue Links column mapped in the workflow update other rows with the reciprocal links. For example, if you add “is blocked by [Issue Key]” to one issue, the other issue will update with “blocks [Issue Key]”
- Using the “epics” and “is Epic of” fields will not automatically change the issue type to an Epic, and you will need to manually change an issue to an Epic.
- Sub-tasks are not automatically given “epics” fields, as they inherit linking properties from their parent Task, Story or Bug, not the Epic.
- Linking fields from Jira add-ons such as Portfolio are not currently supported