Who can use this capability
Owners and Admins can enable multi-language asset details.
Multi-language asset details and bulk translations
Asset names, descriptions, tags, and custom fields can be added in multiple languages.
Multi-language asset details enable editable users to easily add and edit asset names, descriptions, tags, and custom fields in multiple languages. Consumers of a Brandfolder can then read asset details in their preferred language.
Before a user starts editing, there are a few settings that will need to be enabled.
At the Organization level:
- Navigate to Settings > Advanced Settings.
- Enable Multi-Language Asset Details.
At the Brandfolder level:
- Navigate to Settings > General Settings > Advanced.
- From the Default Language drop-down select a language.
- From the Preferred Language drop-down select languages that your users can choose from.
Once these options have been configured, it is now time to edit our assets. The ways this can be done are:
- On the individual asset level
- Selecting multiple assets via the bulk actions toolbar
- Using the Metasheet functionality
Individual asset editing
This is a great option to update assets in an individual manner should the information be missing or just need a quick update. This method includes allowing the user to update all user-facing data within the asset modal itself.
- Open the asset you are wanting to edit. From there, select the Edit tab.
- In the top-right corner, select the language you would like to edit in.
- Edit the asset in the chosen language once a popup appears denoting that you can now edit the assets, description, tags, and custom fields in the chosen language.
- Select Save Changes when the editing is complete.
- Now when a user selects Italian as their locale, it will reflect the updated information.
Bulk action toolbar and Bulk Management editing
Bulk editing of data in different languages is ideal to use when there are the same tags and/or custom fields that need to be added to a selection of assets within Brandfolder.
- Within the View Options menu, select from the Asset Info dropdown to choose the language you edit in.
- Select the assets you would like to update
- Select Tag in the bulk actions toolbar.
- Choose either the Bulk Tag or Bulk Custom Fields tab to add the info in your desired language.
- Select Save.
Now when a user selects that particular language as their locale, it will reflect the updated information that was just added.
Bulk Management editing
Using the Bulk Management screen within Brandfolder is helpful to gain consistency as well as make sure the appropriate pieces of data are translated properly across the assets.
- Navigate to Settings > Bulk Management > Custom Fields or Tags.
- From the dropdown, select the language you would like to edit your tags or custom fields.
- Select Rename to either rename the custom field key or tag of your choosing. This updates how the tag or key will appear when a user selects that particular language as their locale.
Section and label editing
You also have the ability to adjust section and label names in bulk through the bulk management area.
- Navigate to the translations area in bulk management.
- Download a CSV template of the current translations for the chosen language for either sections or labels. Choose sections or labels from the first drop-down and choose your desired language from the second drop-down. Finally, click Download Translations CSV.
- Add your translations to the template and upload the CSV file. When adding your translations to the CSV file do not make adjustments to the formatting of the CSV file.
- Once the CSV is uploaded it will appear at the bottom of the translations page. Successful uploads will appear in the succeeded column. If items show up in the invalid column that typically means the formatting of the CSV was adjusted incorrectly.
5. You can now view your translations on the Brandfolder level by toggling to the language that the sections/labels were translated to.
Below is a list of languages that are available for translation:
Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, and Vietnamese.
Metasheet editing of languages is ideal when the editable user is needing to update multiple pieces of information across multiple languages. See the steps to create a Metasheet. When editing the Metasheet, the user will want to add the specific pieces of data in the language they are wanting to update.
You can only update one language at a time when uploading a CSV.
Once your Metasheet is created:
- Navigate to your Bulk Management screen by going to Settings > Bulk Management. From here, select Upload CSV.
- Select the language you want to edit in, from the dropdown in the top right-hand corner.
- Upload the CSV to the upload box. Now when a user selects that particular language as their locale, it will reflect the updated information that was just added via the CSV.
Updates you make do not automatically translate from one language to another. If you wish to see the same information appear in a different language, you will need to add it via one of the methods listed. Counts in bulk management reflect the number of tags/custom fields in the selected language.
How to quickly translate an entire Brandfolder:
- Download all assets into a metasheet
- Use the Google Docs GOOGLETRANSLATE command
- Convert asset names, tags, and descriptions to the desired language
- Remove all columns that are not needed
- Re-upload the metasheet through bulk management (make sure to change the language to the desired language)